Monday, June 4, 2007

A few jumbled thoughts

One of Phillilp's co-workers is a Buddist and is going to some monistary in Asia for a few weeks this summer. He will be starting his visits with 8 days of silence which got Phillip thinking about the virtues of Christian meditation. When do we sit silently before the Lord and contemplate an aspect of his character? I know that when I read my bible I call it "quiet time" but all I do is read my Bible and pray.
When do I sit back and wonder? when do I have time to formulate a question or explore and idea. I do believe that the Bible is simple, true, complex and deep. Am I trying to drink a waterfall through a straw?
I've been swimming all my life but I feel like I'm still in the shallows where my feet can touch and I know that I am safe. The greatest thing about God is that he is knowable and yet beyond our comprehension. I guess it's time I dig deeper ...

1 comment:

Brianna Heldt said...

I'm reading a book that was talking about the fact that there was a long time before anyone even HAD the Bible in written form--and yet still people were able to know and love the Lord. Surely God and the Holy Spirit work in and through all sorts of ways, not just the constructs we tend to use (ie Bible reading, which of course IS a great way to know God, but not the only way. The book also mentioned that the Bible says that its primary purpose is to equip us for good works--2 Timothy 3:16-17 and Deuteronomy 29:29 were the passages cited.)

God has used many things to reveal Himself (or things about Himself) to me, in addition to scripture. And I agree, just sitting quietly, thinking about the Lord would do us much good!

(Okay that's my random blog comment for the day!)

Popular Posts

Blog Archive