Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Off topic

This year I've been reading runner up classics, you know, books written by authors of classical/popular literature that never made the classics list.  Here are some examples

Rudjard Kipling: Captain Courageous
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: The Lost World
C.S. Lewis: Til we have faces, The Pilgrim's Regress
Ernest Hemmingway: Farewell to Arms


... among others.  It was pretty fun to explore books that I hadn't even heard of  (in some cases) written by author's whose style I already love.  Some of my favorite books are just off the main concensus.  See if you can guess the authors

Villette
Absent in the spring
Titus Andronicus
Samson Agonistes

Sometimes reading the next best thing is better than reading the work an author is famous for because you can go into it without any huge expectations.

How about you?  Do you have a favorite book by a popular/classical author that didn't quite make the best seller list?

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Ah! I need to finish Villette! I started it--was intrigued by it, but it was a borrowed book and I never finished it. Let's see, was it a Bronte novel?

Popular Posts

Blog Archive